Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Letter To My Dad

Dad
When I think back on my life, you were a constant. You played more with the grand kids than you ever played with us. But what you did for us was just as important.

We had you at a time when you were working two jobs and were constantly busy. But I remember coming with you to do chores at the farm when I was very young. I remember handing you tools when you were working on a vehicle, tractor, or household appliance. I remember "family time" where we would walk the fields pulling weeds, or pick blackberries early in the morning. I remember shooting cans off the bridge, and skipping rocks in the creek. I remember proudly going to church with you on Sundays; turning on the furnace or air conditioners, fixing communion, and counting the offering. I remember having you as a Sunday School teacher in high school. You were THERE. You were involved. And I learned so much about life from you.

I have a crew of my own now. When you last saw them, they were a bit younger, with Josiah only being 12. I have 3 teenagers now and the other two are quickly catching up. I've made many mistakes over the years (the kids would probably list them for you), but I think I've done a pretty good job of instilling many of those same values in them.

I still miss you terribly. And I would give anything for the feel of your arms around me and to hear the sound of your voice again. But we are doing okay. We are living one day at a time, trying to help out where needed, and trusting God.

No comments: