Sunday, May 26, 2013

Where Does My Hope Come From?

It's difficult to see hope when you're in the middle of a bad situation. Everything around you seems impossible. It's easy to get pulled under. Sometimes the pain masks anything and everything that is good. I was reminded by a friend the other day that I needed to "stop letting my emotions rule my life and steal my joy". She was right. Hope is not a feeling. It is a choice. Tony Compolo, a well known author and speaker, has said that we must make a conscience decision to choose hope. "Choosing to choose is different from merely choosing. It evokes a sturdy intention, flexes against doubt and resistance, hones resilience, and sends down hearty roots. It has stamina and longevity, poised for a long-distance run. It is resolute and determined. Merely choosing can be unreflective and impulsive, while choosing to choose is reasoned and measured". As I filled my day today with songs of praise and a little laughter, I am striving to choose hope. It may not come immediately. But through prayer and an earnest heart, that is what I am seeking.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. - Romans 15:13

No comments: