Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Circle of Life

I am the mother of two teenagers, with a third that will hit that mark in just a few short months and 2 others that are growing up way too fast. I look back over the years and I can remember the sleepless nights, staying up with a baby. I remember the tantrums that would come out of no where. There were thousands of diapers to change, sippy cups to be filled, snacks to be packed, and bedtime stories to be read. Those were busy days and I marvel at how I ever made it through. And yet here I am. There are still challenges but they are different. I have a fairly open relationship with my kids but "growing pains" are inevitable. My teens are testing their independence.

I remember being that age. I remember thinking I had life all figured out and couldn't understand why my parents wouldn't just leave me alone. Little did I realize just how much God had in store for me. I didn't have a clue that my life would take some major turns that would leave me clinging to a thread. I didn't understand how losing a father could rip my heart in two. I didn't understand that sometimes you don't end up with the fairy tale. Life is hard. People disappoint. Days get dark. In the end, it's God alone that is reaching down in that pit to lift you out. He dusts me off, holds me in His arms and says "Silly girl, Why did you step away from me?". So with my hand firmly grasping His, I try again.

God has brought me to a place where I have had to learn to rely on others. I have learned that when my well is empty, it's okay to have others bring water to fill it. I have been prayed for when I didn't have the strength to pray for myself. God has led me through experiences that enable me to minister to other hurting women. I don't always have the answers, but I do have the understanding and the ability to comfort.

And so with my own children, I try to teach them to depend on God. To know that He is always there for them, even in the little things. I want them to be prepared for the storms that WILL come; knowing that God is able to bring them through if they only trust.

1 comment:

RedHed said...

I feel you on this one Mel.